My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Bradstreet, A Dudley and Royalty Part 3

Portrait in Westminster Abbey
Thought to be of King Edward I.

Learning about my Royal connection came about rather unexpectedly. My first genealogy related trip to the FHL at Salt Lake City was in 1999 when my husband and I went with the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) tour group.  The days were filled with research and some lectures. We were given a tour of the city, which included seeing where the 2002 Olympics were going to be held, something I enjoyed visiting.

One of the highlights was my one-on-one consult with Gary Boyd Roberts, from NEHGS, whom I already knew.  Armed with my family group sheets, another sheet with my "brick walls"  and a four page listing of my surnames (see example below), all were prepared a good six months earlier. Gary's eyes flew down my list of surnames, and with the fastest hand I had ever seen, he quickly made notations of where I could find additional information.  He rambled off all kinds of facts, and even noted that I had several Royal lines, but I wasn't too impressed, because I had decided to concentrate my research in the states, not in England.  For Anne Bradstreet, he jumped up and ran over to his book, located in the nearby stacks, and opened it to show me my lineage to King Edward I.  Ok, that was nice, was my attitude and still is.

It is a good 10 years since that visit, and I had completely forgotten all about Anne's ancestry, until I went through my file on her for this 3-part blog.   I do remember though, that in that same one hour meeting, he told me that Princess Diana and I shared the same ancestry, and Gary then solved one of my brick walls.  That wall led me to discovering I had a Mayflower ancestor, John Alden.  Now, that I liked, and I will cover it at another time.

With my good fortune of meeting with Gary, I was able to save hundreds of hours of research.  It is one of the best reason to use a qualified genealogist if you can afford one or use their service if it is included as part of a tour package.  They usually know more than us.  I am looking forward to using a professional at the NGS conference next year in Salt Lake City to help me solve another "Brick Wall." I hope.

Copies of his book, which was made in Salt Lake City.

Below, the Bradstreet and Dudley names with Gary's notations.  The RD pertains to his book, Royal Descents (above), and the AAP refers to his book, Ancestors of American Presidents

4 comments:

Heather Rojo said...

Very interesting! I had the same experience with Gary, and he found a link to FDR, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Ben Franklin and several Mayflower passengers. I've since found a total of 12 Mayflower passengers, five on both my Moms and Dads sides!

Barbara Poole said...

Thanks for writing, and telling me you had the same experience with him, we were both lucky. Do you happen to have the John Alden line? He found that for me. I haven't written abt. it yet.
Also, I follow your blog, since I live in Lowell and have seen quite a few of the places you've posted about. Your site is very nice, and great pictures. Do you know Ann Morton?

Apple said...

It's nie he could help you and so quickly. I'm fairly certain there are no Mayflower ancestors hiding in the branches of my tree but I have a couple of lines I can't take back that far yet. I do have Edward I in my tree and supposedly he was my 21st great-grandfather. I doubt the tree I got that from and don't really see myself following it up myself but fun to think about.

Barbara Poole said...

We could be cousins, even at 21 generatiaons1 Fun to think about it. Thanks for writing.