Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Wedding

The news has been covering the wedding of Chelsea Clinton to Marc Mezvinsky in Rhinebeck*, Dutchess Co., New York on July 31, 2010.  I am not following any of it, unless it is forced upon me, thanks to the internet, newspapers and television.  However, I was a bit excited when I remembered using several vital record and history books on that small town.  Why?  I have quite a few ancestors and related family from Rhinebeck. When my husband and I went through the town several years ago, I thought it was one of the most beautiful towns I had ever seen.


In my family tree, I have 6 with the surname of BOCKUS, 6 with the surname of KRANS, 26 with the surname of NEER / NEHER, 1 of ROOSA, and 3 of ROSENBERGER.  Most were born in the town, and quite a few died there.  The BOCKUS, KRANS, NEER and ROSENBERGER lines migrated to Missisquoi Co., Quebec, Canada (the Eastern Townships area, north of Vermont).


So, I am a bit proud that my ancestors had good taste in where they chose to live, and if they could only see their town tonight!  A report of the full names is below.


Sources used for my Rhinebeck families:


Frashuer, Mary Near, Our Canadian Nears and Early Kin Descendants of Carl Naeher, Palatine Immigrant to Colonial America, 1710,  (Akron, Ohio : MFC Print. & Pub. Co., 1973).  (FHL, SLC)


Jones, Henry Z., Jr., The Palatine Families of New York (A Study of the German Immigrants Who Arrived in Colonial New York in 1710), Vol. 2,  (Universal City, CA: 1985).


Kelly, Arthur C. M., Baptismal Record of St. Peter's Lutheran Church (known as Stone Church), Rhinebeck, NY (1733-1899),  (1968).


* From Wikipedia.