My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Do You Know?

How long does it take FindAGrave to add a million grave records into their site?

By my calculation it is now taking just a little over 3 weeks. I base this on my visual viewing of their site, since I am on it almost every day. The weeks between December 7 and January 1 took a little bit longer to reach the million mark, due to holiday activities. I say by August 15th they will hit the 100,000,000 mark. What do you think?

In November, I wrote, Have You Looked Lately? a short piece about FindAGrave. For each new figure, I updated my blog to reflect the stats.

** While I was working with FindAGrave today, December 7, 2012, the total went to 91 million  grave records.

** The total is now 92 million grave records as of January 1, 2013!

** The total is now 93 million grave records as of January 22, 2013!

** The total is now 94 million grave records as of February 13, 2013!


** The total is now 95 million grave records as of March 4, 2013!

** The total is now 96 million grave records as of March 24, 2013!

7 comments:

Grant Davis said...

Amazing isn't it how fast the graves are being added. I love findagrave.com. I was going to add some graves to it recently, and just hours before somebody else added them. I have requested graves memorials before and they have added within days.

Regards, Grant

Unknown said...

I think that Find-a-Grave is the best thing "since 7-UP"...
This is a volunteer effort and has done a wonderful job helping link things together. Several folks have found graves and taken photos for me that I would never be able to visit myself..and I have helped out others. THANKS, Find-A-Grave Volunteers!

Andrew said...

Hi Barbara, I noticed this recently too! It's also interesting to note how internment.net missed the boat... It functions the same way but didn't seem to win over people's need to connect, be visual, something, I don't know what? So now I have to go back... And it's a good thing... Because this resource keeps on growing!

Jana Last said...

I just wanted to let you know that this post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/02/follow-fridayfab-finds-for-february-22.html.

Have a great weekend!

Barbara Poole said...

Grant, Unknown, Andy thank you for your comments about FAG. Andy, I totally forgot abt. internment.net, I remember their lists, but not photos...isn't it mostly a Canadian site?
Jana, what a lovely surprise, you sure know how to make a person's day. Thank you!

Fran Ellsworth said...

I have found FindaGrave very helpful, although some of the memorials that don't have stones are made by the family researcher Unless I have confirming information hesitate to use their information.
Internment is better in that it is not memorials made by users, but are the grave yard records. I really like using them too.
As usually you have a great post.
Thanks.

Carol said...

One of the gals over at internment.net walked many of the western states (Washington, Oregon, and that area) cemeteries herself. She has a huge investment of time and energy in those cemeteries. She also, in some cases, has photos of many of the graves. Last I knew she was selling copies of the photos. My knowledge on this is from several years ago, and may not be valid today. It is a good resource for western USA.