My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wyoming, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Ipswich Library, Ipswich, Massachusetts

Ipswich Public Library, Founded 1869
This was one of the first libraries I ever did research in.

As  with almost all the libraries I've visited, there is a distinct original section (above and below) and the new addition, not shown here.

A Genealogists worst nightmare....Archives Closed Until Further Notice!

Through the glass door, I see the "Tan Books" on the table and storage area.
On February 1, 2014, we went back to the Library and I was able to go in. The recent photo is below.
Two historic plaques on each side of the front door (below).
DANIEL TREADWELL

Born in Ipswich, Mass.
October 10th 1791.
Professor in Harvard University.
A Generous Contributor in Books
and Funds to This Free Public Library.
Died in Cambridge, Mass.
February 27th 1872.
This Tablet is Erected to His Memory
by the Trustees of the Library That
Future Generations May Know From
Whom These Additional Gifts of Books and
Funds were Received.
AUGUSTINE HEARD

Born in Ipswich, Mass.
March 30th 1785.
A Successful Merchant in China.
Established and Endowed This
Free Public Library in 1868.
Died in Ipswich, Mass.
September 14th 1868.
This Tablet is Erected to His Memory
by the Trustees of the Library That
Future Generations May Know the
Source of This Munificent Gift.


MASSACHUSETTS

7 comments:

Sandy said...

NO!!!!! I'm on my way to New England to do research and one of the places I was going to was Ipswich, Rowley, and area. No, no, no. Oh well, guess I'll have to regroup. Thank you so much for your help on my research. We are cousins through the Barnes line! Have a super wonderful day. Maybe I'll get to meet you while visiting. We get there Thursday the 25th.

Barbara Poole said...

Hi Sandy, I would call the library and all others, just to see if there are changes. The Ipswich work might be done by now. If you have any question, just email me. Have a great time.

Diane B said...

Barbara, you have libraries in your blood!! Lovely post. I wonder when the archives will be up and running again.

Barbara Poole said...

Hi Diane, Yes, I'm on a roll visiting all the libraries I've gone to...doing this before winter. It could be open now, I don't know, I suppose a quick phone call would give me the answer.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I've been there before and I didn't see the plaque with Daniel Treadwell's name. He's my first cousin, 6 generations removed. He married Adeline Lincoln of Hingham, Mass., a distant cousin to President Lincoln. It's very interesting to know he was a benefactor of this library.

Barbara Poole said...

I'm related to Thomas Tredwell, one of the first settlers in Ipswich, probably related to this Daniel. I haven't traced the entire Tredwell line.

Sandy said...

I just might give you a jingle---send an e-mail....when we get to MA. We arrive in NH tomorrow. I'm excited.....can't wait to show my hubby where his ancestors lived. I have quite a few there too. Looks like you are also related to my hubby through the Bradstreet line.