Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Frederick Law Olmsted's House -- A Dream of A Visit in Brookline, Massachusetts

I am posting this for two reasons, first, it is a National Historic site, and second, I always wanted to see it. Unfortunately, it was in the process of closing and we only saw one room in 2013. It was still closed in 2016. The park and house are now open, see HERE.
Walkway to the house. The tree by the rock was planted by Frederick Law Olmsted.

Wikipedia

Frederick Law Olmsted's FindAGrave site.


"About the Olmsted Legacy

Beginning in 1857 with the design for Central Park in New York City, Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903), his sons and successor firm created designs for more than 6,000 landscapes across North America, including many of the world's most important parks.  Olmsted’s remarkable design legacy includes Prospect Park in Brooklyn, Boston’s Emerald Necklace, Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina, Mount Royal in Montreal, the grounds of the United States Capitol and the White House, and Washington Park, Jackson Park and the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago.  Olmsted’s sons were founding members of the American Society of Landscape Architects and played an influential role in the creation of the National Park Service." The article is taken from the Olmsted website.


Great enclosed porch photos.




I was delighted to see Wisteria still growing, our visit was on June 30th.

Below is a page from the "The Master List of Design Projects of the Olmsted Firm 1857–1979," and the visitors center allowed me to copy the section for Lowell.
The last entry above is for Tyler Park, Lowell, MA, a 5-minute walk from my house. See photos below.