My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wyoming, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Frederick Law Olmsted's Place -- A Dream of A Visit in Brookline, Massachusetts

I am posting this for two reasons, first because it is historical and a National Park site, and second, for any tourists who wanted to visit, but couldn't because of the shutdown. Hopefully, some might find my site via Google, so, I'm sharing my photos for them.
Walkway to the house. Tree by the rock was planted by Frederick Law Olmsted.

Wikipedia

Frederick Law Olmsted's FindAGrave site.
Back of the house (above and below).


"About the Olmsted Legacy

Beginning in 1857 with the design for Central Park in New York City, Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903), his sons and successor firm created designs for more than 6,000 landscapes across North America, including many of the world's most important parks.  Olmsted’s remarkable design legacy includes Prospect Park in Brooklyn, Boston’s Emerald Necklace, Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina, Mount Royal in Montreal, the grounds of the United States Capitol and the White House, and Washington Park, Jackson Park and the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago.  Olmsted’s sons were founding members of the American Society of Landscape Architects and played an influential role in the creation of the National Park Service." Article taken from the Olmsted website.

Great enclosed porch.

Delighted but very surprised to see Wisteria still growing, our visit was on June 30th.
 Below is a page from the "The Master List of Design Projects of the Olmsted Firm 1857–1979," and the visitor's center allowed me to copy the section for Lowell.
The last entry above is for Tyler Park, Lowell, MA, a 5 minute walk from my house. See photos below.




3 comments:

Carol said...

Now, you just KNOW I love that porch.

But, have to say, that is very cool about that park right by your home. EXCELLENT!!!

Barbara Poole said...

Carol, thank you for you nice comments, you always say the right things. Yeah, I love the porch too.

John D. Tew said...

Great photos as always Barbara!

I first learned abut Frederick Law Olmsted in the book "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America" by Erik Larson. I highly recommend the book.

John