Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Reading Public Library (See the Resources for Genealogists)



Reading Public Library
64 Middlesex Ave, Reading, MA 01867

This library opened in 1896 as a school, and as you can see it still looks like a school. I visited the library several times, as proved by some of my photos towards the end of this thread. Since my last visit in 2015.
The side view shows the new addition.

Below are the photos of the History and Genealogy Room. It is normally locked but the reference librarian took me to it. She was thrilled when I told her I have four generations who lived in  Reading. The first, per From The Great Migration Begins, Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vol. III, by Robert Charles Anderson, NEHGS, Boston, 1995
Pages 1493-1496.

JOHN POOLE
ORIGIN: Unknown
MIGRATION: 1632
FIRST RESIDENCE: Cambridge
REMOVES: Lynn 1633, Reading by 1650
OCCUPATION: Miller.
EDUCATION: John Poole signed his name to deeds and to his will. Margaret made her mark, an "M," to one deed [ELR 2:105].

I found a lot of information through their books on previous visits. Although the room was modernized and it had a large table, there were fewer books. They didn't have the well-known tan books (as described in my post shown below.

The Local History and Genealogy link is https://readingpl.org/local-history-genealogy/ I wasn't very impressed with what they have online, but I am interested in their information showing what the Reading Town Archives Town Hall 16 Lowell Street Reading, MA 01867 781/942-6661 Holdings are. Included - Vital Records, Valuation Records, Town Reports, State/Federal Census, Street Directories, Maps, Genealogies, Obituary Collection, and an extensive photo collection. Records maintained by volunteers call for appointment. 

Early map copies in the map cabinet.



The above photo shows some of the books I used a lot.



The lobby above, and the reading room below.

From the parking area below, you enter the library from these steps or take an elevator.
Back entrance.

Older photos below, probably from 2012 and  2015.

Above is the Reading Public Library, formerly a large school. It was a very overcast day when we entered through the back entrance.
The local history room is on the main floor. The photo is of my husband, not a patron.
The above photo and the two following are in the same room. The collection is mostly for Reading, but other nearby towns are included.
 The room is very small and seats only four people. However, the local history books and records are great. I met two genealogy friends here on another day.


The below photo is in the second room. Shown is a large collection of the Vital Records for Massachusetts, otherwise known as, the tan books. In addition, there is a table, chair, microfilm reader (I believe), and other equipment. A person was there, so I left quickly. This is a favorite photo of mine. Note: The renovated room no longer has them and when I asked where they were, they didn't know.

This is the back of the library where the entrance is. It was closed that day, but I took this anyway. Well, I did return on August 29, 2015, and this is what greeted us.